Hello Smoothie Drinkers,
This morning I was greeted by an empty fridge – well almost empty. I have really been trying to reduce my food waste by ensuring all my groceries are used up before I head to the grocery store. It really is amazing what you can whip up with a limited amount of food and boundless food creativity. So with an empty fridge and being a green juice drinker, I saw red. Not the angry kind of red, but red as in pomegranates and blue berries – as that is what was left to create with. I also had some carrots, pea shoots and ginger so I tossed them together in my Vitamix and create a new smoothie to share with you.
Pomegranates and blue berries are filled with anti-oxidants so you will want to include them in your diet. As I created this smoothie, I thought about Valentine’s Day coming up and thought this would be an excellent way to start the day to show yourself how much you love you! Or maybe you want to create it for that someone special to show you love them too. But first, love yourself – your body will thank you!
Here is the recipe:
“Love is in the Air” Smoothie
- 1 pomegranate – seeds only
- 4-5 small carrots or 2-3 large – cut into pieces
- 1 handful of pea shoots
- 1 inch of peeled ginger
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tray of ice cubes
- Prepare pomegranate as per image below – you want the red seeds. You want the whole seed as it contains more nutrients.
- Peel and chop carrots to a size that your blender can blend.
- Add pomegranate seeds to your high speed blender and mulch to fine texture in blender.
- Stop blender and add carrots, pea shoots, peeled ginger and blue berries.
- Put the lid on, start slowly and then put on high until blended. The mixture will be a bit thick.
- Add ice cubes and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy.
- Serves two.
- If you are doing self-love, store your extra serving in a mason jar for later to give yourself another serving of self-love later in the day.
- Check out the full directions to get into a pomegranate here.
- Keep frozen fruit on hand for smoothies and when your fridge is empty.
- If the jar for the extra serving is not quite full, just add a bit of filtered water to fill to the top – it will keep better this way.
May you love yourself and nourish your body and soul today.
Jo-Ann Blondin, your 9CupChallenge partner