Colourful Coleslaw – a beautiful looking salad. Easy to make.
Hello Almost Empty Fridge,
2.5 weeks ago my fridge was just about empty. So I went out and bought groceries. When I returned home, my son was putting away the groceries he had just bought. And then my hubby walked in the door with the groceries he had just bought. Needless to say, I was glad I now owned a second fridge as we needed both to store all the goodness that we had just purchased. (The second fridge is a second hand fridge that we bought to replace the one in my kitchen as the items on the door keep falling off. It was meant to be a “buy more time” solution to a nice new stainless fridge however it did not fit in the fridge spot by 1/4 inch so it got moved down stairs and has been really useful for food storage).
After the epic grocery purchase runs, my mother-in-law passed away the next day and as you likely know, that means all established eating routines were no longer routines. Some of the food we purchased sadly ended up in the compost. But after watching a few videos on food waste, I was determine that I would used everything in the fridge before I went and purchased more groceries.
Well I can say, we are now down to one cucumber, some radishes, one avocado, two apples and one pear and a sad looking lime (limes still seem to juice well even when they look sad).
But before we got down to the few items above, I was determined that I could make an entire dinner with what I found. Here is what I made
Vegetarian Chili – A bag mini carrots (no longer great for fresh eating but fine for chili), a red onion, canned whole tomatoes, canned tomato paste, dried mushrooms, canned chick peas, canned black beans, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, curry powder and cinnamon.
Colourful Crunchy Coleslaw – organic carrots, organic red cabbage, red onion finely chopped and homemade dressing.
We enjoyed a colourful dinner and no one has broken the seal to purchase any groceries yet. And best of all the fridge got a nice clean up too.
Here is the recipe for the Colourful Crunchy Coleslaw – you will just love it.
Colourful Crunchy Coleslaw
- 5 peeled organic carrots
- 1/2 head red cabbage (organic if possible)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cold pressed Olive oil
- 1/3 cup Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Organic Stone Ground Prepared Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- Pull out your food processor and use the grating/shredding blade.
- Shred the carrots and then do the cabbage. Shred quickly so they don’t get too fine.
- Add the carrot, cabbage and onion to a large mixing bowl and combine.
- In mason jar or in the mustard container if you only have a wee bit left, mix the dressing (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard and salt) and shake until combined.
- Pour dressing over the carrot, cabbage and onion mixture and combine.
- Let rest for 30 minutes as it only gets better with time.
- Enjoy. Serves 6. And yes that means I now have lunches made too!
On the “To Do” list tomorrow – Groceries. I just need to make sure the three of us know who has the action item this time.
To food creativity and using what you have to create colour meals.
Your 9 Cup Challenge partner, Wellness Cheerleader and Holistic Nutritionist.
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW
share this post on