Hello Busy Friends,
Running out the door to get to work on an empty stomach is common among many of my clients. So I am often asked what can I eat at the office as I just don’t have time to eat before I leave.
First, let me suggest you get up 30 minutes earlier and enjoy a stress free breakfast as it will leave you ready to go for the day however I know this is not always possible.
So I created Homemade Wheat-Free Oatmeal To Go.
I like to make this as a large batch and prepackage it all in individual serving sizes that are very portable. I use the Ziploc snack bags as they hold one cup and are very light to carry. All you need is a bowl or very big mug plus some hot water and you have breakfast to go.
I sent my daughter off to university this year with a supply of Homemade Wheat-Free Oatmeal To Go and got the call in early November to make another batch. This is a great way to get your college/university children eating some healthier breakfasts or some days, the only meal they will eat (hey you can’t control what they eat or drink).
So when your children are home from “Uni” this holiday break, why not make a batch for them to take back. Or you can gift it for Christmas to anyone who is rushed in the morning.
Here is the recipe:
Homemade Wheat-free Oatmeal To Go
- 8 cups of wheat-free large flake rolled oats
- 2 cup pecans – raw
- 2 cups walnuts – raw
- 2 cups almonds – raw
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup dried cranberries sweetened with apple juice
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup golden berries or raisins
- 8 tsp ground cinnamon
- Get out the large turkey roaster as you will need a really big pot to combine.
- Add the wheat-free large flake rolled oats.
- Chop up the pecan, walnuts and almonds into small pieces.
- Add to the oats and combine.
- Add the chia, hemp hearts, ground flax seed and dried unsweetened coconut flakes and combine.
- Chop the apricots into small pieces. Add a bit of the above mixture while you chop to reduce the apricots sticking to your knife. Add to pot and combine.
- Add the cranberries and golden berries.
- Add the ground cinnamon and combine.
When fully combined, create individual serving sizes. Depending on what you like to eat the mixture above makes
- 20 – 1 cup servings
- 30 – 3/4 servings
- 40 – 1/2 cup servings
I use the snack bags from Ziploc and then store them in a Ziploc Freezer bag. I usually do 1 cup servings for my hubby and daughter and have never heard the serving size is too much.
To serve, put the individual serving amount in a bowl and add enough boiling hot water to cover and stir to combine. Let stand for 10 minutes with a plate over top to keep in the heat. In a busy morning, you can use this 10 minutes to get ready or make this at the office and do your action list for the day while it is getting ready to eat.
Enjoy immediately. If you want added moisture once it is ready, add almond milk that you can bring in a small jar.
To finding ways to get breakfast in on a busy day.
Your 9 Cup Challenge partner, Holistic Nutritionist and Wellness Cheerleader