Hi Salad Creators.
Today I have a new salad creation for you. This one includes Daikon Radish. I was shopping at Longos with @OrganicExpert and she picked up a Dailon Radish. Having never seen one before, I asked what the heck is that and what do you make with it? Ever the expert, she explained that you peel it and use it in salads. She told me she spirilizes it. All I could think was that was a lot of radish.
The following week, just before I went into Organic Garage, a lady came out of the small India Grocer carrying a paper bag. I stopped and asked her what was in the store? She said the best samosas in Oakville. She said her family is crazy for them and said I must go in and try some too. I thought the hubby and the adult son would really like this treat so I headed into the store to purchase a few. When I went in, I checked out the entire store and there was a display of Daikon Radishes. When you have never heard of a food and within one week, it appears twice, it is a sign to purchase and give it a try. So along with the samosa, I purchased a Daikon Radish and started thinking how I would use it. The samosas were amazing I was told. Here is the salad I created.
Daikon Radish and the Missing Mango Salad
- 4 inches (10 cm) of Daikon radish (peeled)
- 4 inches (10 cm) organic zucchini
- 1 slice of red onion – 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 mango (peeled)
1/2 cup “Who Took My Mango” Dressing
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Cut 4 inches of the zucchini and run through the spirilizer and add to a mid-sized bowl.
- Cut 4 inches of the radish and peel and then run through the spirilizer and place in the same bowl as the zucchini.
- Take the slice of red onion and dice finely and add to the bowl.
- Add the cup of shredded carrot to the bowl and combine.
- Chop up the cores left by the spirilizer and add to the salad or save for your green juice
- Add 1/2 a mango or more if you prefer to the bowl and combine.
- Pour on 1/2 cup of “Who Took My Mango” Dressing and thoroughly combine. Add more dressing to taste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- To serve, create a bed of spinach on each plate and put the Daikon Radish and The Missing Mango Salad on top.
- This salad is a make and enjoy salad. The leftovers can be enjoyed the next day for lunch but due to the high water count of the zucchini and radish it is best enjoyed the day it is made.
- This salad does not go over well on Grey Cup Sunday with beer, chili, chicken wings and chips. I made the salad again for the Grey Cup viewing at our house. I think the guys were chuckling to themselves that I even put a salad out. Oh well, I enjoyed it. Not everyone is going to eat clean all the time. Having food allergies leaves you feeling great the next day if you plan for success, which I did.
My family really enjoyed the salad and the dressing. My adult son was pleased to see the mango in the salad and the dressing. Mystery solved – Mom took the mango and got creative. A new dressing and a new salad creation – not bad for an adventure with a Daikon radish and a mango.
May your day be filled with creativity and adventurous food lovers.
To food creativity,
Jo-Ann Blondin, your 9CupChallenge partner.