Hello smoothie sippers,
One of my favourite smoothies is made with Maca. I had never heard of maca until I attended a talk with David Wolfe where he spoke about the benefits of it. GiddyYoyo, the event host, had created an elixir that contained Maca which I purchased. A first I was not “in love” with the taste. Then as my taste buds settled in to the new taste, I started to like it, then really like it. When I attended my second David Wolfe talk, I was hoping the elixir would be served again and to my delight it was.
A few months later, I attended the opening of HeartBeetsInc a new organic store in Mississauga. The opening had a great collection of vendors. One of the vendors was doing samples of Maca. We tried the liquid form – it was like a boast of energy. The vendor told us it was an adaptogen – basically a food that balances out what you need by itself. Kinda cool really.
To learn more about maca, Julie Daniluk’s blog gives additional insights.
When I want a pick me up or a power dessert I make a Maca Madness Smoothie. Here is the recipe:
Maca Madness Smoothie
- 1 tbsp Chia
- 1 tbsp Hemp
- 1 tsp Ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp Almond butter
- 2 tbsp Maca
- 2 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp Raw Chocolate nibs
- 1 tbsp Gogi berries
- 2 dates Dates (pitted)
- 8 Ice cubes
- Take the chia and hemp and place into a 250 ml mason jar and fill with filtered water. Stir to ensure everything is covered with water. Let sit for 30 minutes. The chia and hemp will absorb the water.
- Get out your high speed blender
- Add the chia, hemp and water mixture to blender
- Add ground flax seeds, almond butter, maca, raw chocolate nibs, Gogi berries, pitted dates and remaining water.
- Turn on slow, power to high and then boost to finely grind and combine the ingredients.
- Turn to low and then off.
- Add 8 ice cubes or more depending on how thick you want your smoothie.
- Blend again to crush the ice.
- Pour into a favourite glass.
- Sit back and enjoy.
May your day be filled with energy and balance.
To maca balance,
Jo-Ann Blondin, your 9CupChallenge partner