Hello Amazing Friends,
I just made an amazing couple of batches of Kale Chips that I know you will want to try out. I served this recipe to guests from Malaysia and they loved the rich flavour of these kale chips. These will make your taste buds dance. They really are that good.
I used a dehydrator to make them. It really does make them taste better but you can also use your oven at the lowest setting with the door open or do them in a hotter over as per my instructions here. You just need to really watch them as they can burn.
Using a dehydrator allows them to still be technically called “raw” if you set the temperature to about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. They need to cook for about 12 hours in your dehydrator but check on them to see if they are ready sooner or need more time. Timing is dependent on the freshness of your kale, the humidity in your home and how well you dried the kale before you added the sauce.
I have two recipes to share – Hot & Smoky and Light on the Heat Kale Chips. I will post each recipe separately so you print out for future use. Here is the Hot & Smoky version.
Krazy for Kale Chips – Hot and Smoky
You are going to love the hot and smoky flavour of these Kale Chips. Your taste buds will be dancing.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 12 hours
- Total Time: 12 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Raw Food, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free
- 1 bunch or organic curly kale (I used Red leaf in this recipe but green works too)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp whole rosemary
- 1/2 tsp group thyme
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp chipotle powder
- Wash and dry your kale leaves.
- Remove the thick rib from the leaves and make each piece about the size of your palm or bigger. They shrink a lot.
- Place all the prepared kale in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, add the tahini, olive oil and combine with a fork. (Don’t use a blender as it will alter the topping)
- Add the lemon juice, nutritional yeast and combine and then add the balance of ingredients.
- Massage the wet mixture into the kale segments being sure to cover every piece with the mixutre. Massage for about 3 minutes.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Put in dehydrator for 12 hours at 115 F.
- I usually rotate my dehydrator tray about half way through the cooking time to ensure even dehydration.
- They should be crispy when done.
Now your only challenge will be if you share these delicious Kale Chips or if eat them all yourself.
To your wellness,
Your Holistic Culinary Nutritionist and Wellness Cheerleader